“Forgetting people you love is impossible. It'd be like forgetting how to breathe.” – Natalie Lloyd
In This Kit You’ll Find:
- 7 copies of A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd
- 1 copy of Miss Maples's Seeds by Eliza Wheeler
- 1 copy of Journey by Aaron Becker
- 1 copy of the discussion questions (you may keep)
- Book sign-up sheet to keep track of books (you may keep)
- Activity sheets for creating your own words & activity sheets about what makes a home (you may keep)
- Coloring sheets for readers of Miss Maple's Seeds (you may keep)
Themes for Discussion:
- Magic & Fantasy, friendship, family relationships, disabilities, home/relocating, positive role models, helping others
About the Book:
Midnight Gulch used to be a magical place. But that was long ago before a curse drove the magic away. 12-year-old Felicity knows all about things like that; her nomadic mother is cursed with a wandering heart.
But when she arrives in Midnight Gulch, Felicity thinks her luck's about to change. A "word collector", Felicity sees words everywhere - shining above strangers, tucked into church eves, and tangled in her dog's floppy ears - but Midnight Gulch is the first place she's ever seen the word "home". And then there's Jonah, a mysterious, spiky-haired do-gooder who shimmers with words Felicity's never seen before, words that make Felicity's heart beat a little faster.
Felicity wants to stay in Midnight Gulch more than anything, but first, she'll need to figure out how to bring back the magic, breaking the spell that's been cast over the town...and her mother's broken heart. (www.natalielloyd.com/a-snicker-of-magic)
You’ll Like It If You Like: Fantasy fiction, fairy tales & myths, quirky & likeable characters, stories about growing up & self-expression
Reading Level: A Snicker of Magic, Read Together, Grades 2 - 5; Read Alone, Grades 4 - 7
Journey & Miss Maple's Seeds, pre-school - grade 2
Fun things To Do & Explore at Your Book Club:
- Watch A Snicker of Magic book trailer
- Make & Eat Ice Cream... or just eat it!: Dr. Zook's Famous Ice Cream Factory creates some delicious flavors, check out our Pinterest page for ideas & recipes to make your own.
- Make a mural of YOUR town: Felicity Pickle's mom paints the town mural, together with your group, paint or draw a mural of your own town. Check out our Pinterest page for suggestions.
- Write & Talk about what home means to you: Using the Finding Home worksheets (included in folder) write about what makes home for both Felicity and you.
- Create your own "spindiddly" catchword: Using the catchword worksheets (included in folder), use the provided formula to concoct your own outrageous catchwords
- Journey Readers: For those who read Journey, make paper lanterns like the lanterned forest found in the book's magical journey
- Miss Maple's Seeds Readers: For the younger set who read Miss Maple's Seeds, drawing & coloring pages to design Miss Maple's treehouse
What to read next: