Subscriptions for Genealogists
*Library Card # Required*
- HeritageQuest: Available anywhere with an Internet connection & your library card #
- Ancestry.com: Available with your library card in Bridgeville, Lewes, Rehoboth Beach and South Coastal Public Libraries
- Family Tree Magazine (Link to catalog holding)
- Masterfile Premier: Available anywhere with an Internet connection & your library card #
Use HeritageQuest to search Federal Census images from 1790-1934, Revolutionary War Era records, Freedman’s Bank and information related to people and places described in over 20,000 family and local histories.
Use Masterfile Premier to search a large variety of publications including an image collection with maps, photos and flags.
Local Genealogical Organizations
The Sussex County Genealogical Society promotes genealogy and educational work, encourages and instructs its members in genealogical research through careful documentation, and maintains quality genealogical standards. Find their discussion groups in the following libraries:
Bridgeville Public Library:
10:30 - 12 Noon, 3rd Tuesday of the month
Milton Public Library:
2 - 4 PM, 1st Thursday of the month
Rehoboth Public Library:
10:30 - 12 Noon, 3rd Saturday of the month
Selbyville Public Library:
10:30 - 12 Noon, 1st Friday of the month
Downstate Delaware Genealogical Society
A non-profit organization to further assist and interest others in genealogical research, the Downstate Delaware Genealogical Society meets on the 2nd Saturday of the month at the DE Public Archives building in Dover, Delaware.
Where to Start...
- 10 Tips for Finding Ancestors - A quick burst of inspiration from Family Tree Magazine
- National Archives - Retrieve historical electronic records, request military records, or plan a research visit
- Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) - Far more than a search engine, The DPLA is a portal that gathers and freely provides millions of items from America's libraries, archives & museums
- Library of Congress - Search the catalog, the extensive manuscript collections, the American Memory Collection and the Chronicling America Historic Newspaper Collection.
- eHistory - Managed by the Department of History at Ohio State University, this site provides a digital collection of historical books, articles, images, timelines, oral histories and videos
- U.S. Census Bureau
- Cyndi's List - A comprehensive,current and categorized list of genealogical research sites
South Coastal Public Library
Join the South Coastal Public Library in Bethany Beach on July 14, 2 PM OR August 4, 2 PM
This summer you will have TWO chances to explore your roots online with genealogy expert, Nancy Nebiker.
You will need:
- Your DE Library card AND PIN #
- At least 3 names to research
- Registration is required, opens July 1