Talk, Sing, Read, Write, Play
Encourage Literacy Skills
Research shows that ages 0-5 are the most important time for children to develop their brains & attitudes towards reading.
- Books that Inspire Talking Talking with children is one of the best ways to help them learn new words & information
- Books for Singing Together Singing develops language skills. It slows down language so children can hear the different sounds
- Books to Read with Your Child Reading together develops vocabulary, nurtures a love for reading, and motivates children to want to learn to read
- Books that Promote Writing Scribbling & writing help children learn that written words stand for spoken language
- Books that Encourage Playing Playing helps children put thoughts into words
*Tip* Not every child will sit and listen to stories. Try reading aloud while they are playing nearby. They are still building early literacy skills as they sit nearby!
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
South Coastal Library
Follow the 1000 Books before Kindergarten program with the South Coastal Library. For every 100 books read, you earn a free board book. Download your reading log and details on South Coastal Public Library's site.
Monday - Milton 6 PM (0-2y)
Saturday - South Coastal 9:30 AM (0-5y)
The American Girl Club
Rehoboth Beach Public Library
Mondays, 6 PM - 7 PM, join Rehoboth Beach Public Library while enjoying snacks, crafts, games, and meeting the American Girls from throughout history! Open to ages 7 -11, feel free to bring your own dolls.
- April 2: Kirsten Larson (1854) Sweden, Make dolls out of yarn, homemade applesauce snack
- April 9: Addy Walker (1864) Escapes from Slavery, Friends from First State Heritage Park in Dover on hand to discuss life in DE during the Civil War
- April 16: Samantha Parkington (1904)
- April 23: Rebecca Rubin (1914)
- April 30: Kit Kittredge (1934)
Story Times in Sussex Libraries
There's an early literacy program to fit every schedule. Find the right story time for you:
Mondays: 10:30 AM (4-6 yo) @ Rehoboth Public Library
Tuesdays: 10 AM Selbyville Public Library, 10:30 AM Lewes & Milford Public Libraries, 11 AM Bridgeville & Frankford Public Libraries, 4:30 PM (K & UP) Seaford Public Library, 6 PM Greenwood Public Library
Saturdays: 9:30 AM S. Coastal Public Library (0-5 yo)